Saturday, January 3, 2009

2008 Review in Pictures




Anita retires after 30+ years at Metro Transit at the end of January. That weekend she moves out of the little cottage she has lived in four days a week for the last 6.7 years in Fremont and joins her husband at Thornbush on San Juan Island.


































They join friends in Kona on the Big Island for a week in February. They enjoy paradise and their friends' company very much. Snorkeling is a highlight.


In April, Roger and Anita celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary. Anita acquires a puppy after waiting for seventeen years since her last dog went to doggy heaven. She gets a standard poodle and names her "Suzie". Her life is changed dramatically. Oh yes, and they start raising six laying hens.

Both Roger and Anita take part in the Fourth of July parade and vounteer at the San Juan Island National Historical Park. They win prizes at the County Fair for baskets and vegetables.


After a fabulous summer of fun hosting many friends and family members, Roger, Anita, and Suzie take a road trip down the Oregon Coast to the Redwood Forests of Northern California. They ride a narrow guage train near Tillamook.

Later in the Fall, they get together with Ellisons and Barrecas to celebrate a wedding, two Thanksgivings, a birthday or two, and Christmas. Anita starts a blog to record her life at Thornbush.


Christmas at Thornbush is a quiet, peaceful affair due to record low temperatures and about 14" of snow on the ground. They prepare the pond for ice-skating.






When she thinks about all the big events of 2008, both personal and in the world at large, Anita is overwhelmed. How could 2009 top a year like this last one?

















3 comments:

Linda said...

What a fine year you have just wrapped up! I sincerely hope that 2009 is even better. And, oh, I wish I had a pond so I could skate. Since I quit playing hockey I haven't even laced up my skates and I miss it. Next year you can include a fabulous trip to Montana and Yellowstone Park in your review, yes? And I will see you two in the spring.

anita said...

Yes, I plan on a big trip east. I'm already thinking of stopping at my brother's in Kettle Fall and my cousin's near Sun Valley on my way to your place. Can I bring my dog?

Mizu Sugimura said...

Pictures certainly DO say a thousand words. It's a treat to see a review of the wonderful year that just went by - and get a peak (here) of the equally fun-filled 365 red carpet ofdays which are in the process of rolling out. A bit of champagne might be in order....do you have a favorite brand?