Tuesday, September 1, 2009

August Visitors

Sharon's visit started off the month of visitors. The weather was a little glum that weekend, but we had one wonderful walk on Mt. Finlayson and met up with two huge bucks and saw a fox or two.

End of an Era: All year long I'd been anticipating entering my art car in the Seascare Porchlight Parade in Brier http://seascare.com August 12th. "Starry Night" Art Car paraded down the Avenue for the last time. Shotgun Lynn and friends Barry and David helped throw candy to the hordes lining the road. Ten days later, I donated the car to Island Stage Left, a theatre company here on San Juan that produces fabulous Shakespearean plays every summer.http://islandstageleft.org/ We went to see a great performance of As You Like It earlier this month. Good-bye art car. It's been fun!
When I returned to the island with my friends Barry and David, the San Juan Co Fair was in full swing. Roger and I won one blue ribbon and two red ribbons a piece for our vegetables and baskets. But the big excitement was the Zucchini 500. Here's a picture of Barry racing his entry--
in the first heat--which he won! The Fair is always lots of fun--always good food, good music, and great company. This year was no exception.
The following weekend was the annual "Weaving Weekend" at English Camp. This year we were again joined by historical reenactors and basketweavers Karen, Patrick, and Judith. There were also lavender wands being made, wool and stories being spun. We made our usual assortment of wattle fences, hurdles, an obelisk, and a couple plant teepees--all out of indigenous alder and willow.
Immediately after weaving weekend more friends, Tabitha and Brigitte, showed up. They hadn't been here since 2002 so much had changed. We got to see dozens of whales at Lime Kiln Park, walked South Beach at Sunset, and they slept each night under the stars to watch the Milky Way and whatever meteors they could spy. Jay lay outside and watched the stars, too, when he arrived for a week of work and play. He helped haul in the firewood, harvest the potatoes, and weed the kitchen garden among other chores. (we did also have some great meals and played some music, too--it wasn't all work.)
Throw in a couple potlucks and other social gatherings with friends and that about wraps up August.
If it weren't for my visiting friends, I'd never go out and experience what a beautiful island I live on. I'd just sit on my deck and enjoy it from here.




1 comment:

Linda said...

Is that Brigitte who showed up the same one you and I almost bought a house with back in the day? I haven't seen her in many ages! Sounds like a great month.
I've been knitting a hippie hat with the yarn I bought last time I visited San Juan Island which keeps me thinking about you and your fabulous island home. I hope to see you in November.